Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Like Father ... Like Daughter


Samantha is truly a "daddy's girl." Now, don't get me wrong -- she loves her mama too, but there is something so special between her and Steve. She asks for him every morning when she gets up, and I say the same thing: "He's at work, honey. He'll be home soon." And it never ceases to amaze me how she almost instinctively knows (without being able to tell time yet, of course) when it is getting close to the time when her daddy normally arrives home from work. She starts looking out the window and then practices waiting by the back door for him.

The greeting is the same every day; Steve comes in the back door and Samantha races from the other end of the room, giggling, to jump into his outstretched arms. He swoops her up with a hug and a kiss and asks how her day was. (Somehow, this is never the greeting that I get from him; nor do I receive a similar greeting from Sam when I come home from anywhere).

Sam loves to "fix" things. I think that this is something she inhertited from her daddy, who is an engineer by trade. If Steve leaves any tools laying around, she confiscates them and uses them to "fix" anything that she feels is broken (her rocking horse, toys, etc.). This morning, she brought his measuring tape into my bathroom and started measuring everything from the wall, to her pants, and ultimately ... Sophia.

I think that her favorite time of day is right after dinner, when Steve devotes all of his attention to her and they play either inside or outside. I try to join in (if I am not busy with Sophia), but I also like to just sit back and watch them interact. I can't help but smile and watch as my little girl continues to have her daddy wrapped (tightly) around her little finger ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...