Saturday, October 26, 2013

Picking Pears

We have a large pear tree in our back yard, right outside the kitchen window.  I am constantly looking out that window as I am doing dishes and preparing meals.  This year, the tree has produced a bountiful crop -- certainly making up for the lack of one last year when the pear buds froze off in the Spring.

One day last week, I sent the girls out to pick some pears for me before the deer get them all.  (The deer come out at all hours of the day and night to eat those pears.  They will even stand on their hind two legs to reach them).



They collected the pears in a couple of their beach pails ...



And then dumped them into the larger bucket for me.



They worked so well together, and it wasn't long before the big bucket was substantially filled.



The next day, I turned the pears into sauce so that Jack will have some to eat in another month or so.  I was able to fill three ice cube trays full of single serving portions of the pears, which will last quite a while for him.  I have also started making a few other purees and freezing them, as I know that we will be needing them soon.

I have always made my own baby food; it's cheaper, healthier and so simple.  I steam the fruits and vegetables and puree them in a blender using the same liquid that they were steamed in (to preserve any vitamins or nutrients that were lost while steaming).  Then, I pour the purees into ice cube trays and freeze them.  Once they are frozen, I pop them out of the trays and store them in labeled, plastic freezer bags.  When I need a serving, I grab a "cube" out of the freezer bag and let it thaw in a small container that is perfect for that portion size.  (I found the containers at the dollar store). 

So far, I have made pears and carrots for the freezer.  Next on my list is applesauce and peas.  By the time that I am done, I will have a nice selection of fruits and vegetables to begin slowly introducing to Jack.  He will also receive bananas and avocados, but those will be served as is, just mashed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...