Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Five

Samantha is five years old today.  I've thought about it a lot lately, and it seems like such a grown-up age to me.  I remember a lot of things from when I, myself, was five years old -- kindergarten, dance lessons, becoming a big sister again ... Some of the exact same milestones that Samantha is reaching at this age.



Five years old means that I rarely have to help her get dressed or brush her teeth.  She runs into school with a slight hand wave now; there is no shyness about her.  She has mastered self-confidence already and makes friends so easily.  That alone just makes my momma heart swell.

She would never hurt anyone's feelings intentionally.  She's sensitive to those around her, and has a heart of gold -- so solid and yet so loving at the same time.  She adores her brother and sister with every ounce of her being and I love watching the patience that she has with each one of them.  (Sometimes I wonder why I can't be that patient?).

I am so proud of the girl that she is turning into, and I make a point to let her know that every chance that I get.  She is so special to her daddy and me.

On her birthday, I made extra sure that she knew how special she is ...

Cinnamon rolls for breakfast (before school), complete with a candle and Sophia and me singing happy birthday to her:



I made dirt pudding cups for her to take to classmates at school to celebrate her birthday:


After I picked her up from school at noon, the kids and I took her to Culver's for a grilled cheese sandwich and ice cream -- her favorite!  And then, as is our tradition, we went into the pet store across the street so that the girls could see all of the animals.  Samantha said that it was the best day ever ...

And we weren't done! 

After we got home, Samantha opened her present from me.  I wanted to be sure that she had a chance to open it while I was there (we were saving the other presents for later that night while I would be teaching).  She was beyond excited over the children's bible that I had chosen for her -- something that she had been wanting.



Jack was a little preoccupied with the gift bag and tissue paper!  Look at that determination!


After the girls' naps, Steve arrived home a few minutes early and Sam was able to open her gifts from Jack, Sophia and Steve. 



Sophia had chosen some licorice and a Doc McStuffins bag that you could decorate:


Jack gave Sam a new dress for dress -up ... and Steve picked out a remote-controlled truck!  Yes, a remote-controlled truck!  I'm not sure who was more excited, him or Sam.  Although Sam was pretty excited.  Her exact words were, "Dad, were you thinking of me when you bought this?  I love it so much!  Thank you!"  Steve was thrilled.



Opening the truck immediately:



Testing it out in the hallway:



Decorating the Doc McStuffins bag:


Overall, I think that it is safe to say that Samantha had a great day.  There is nothing that I want more in this world than for my kids to feel loved and appreciated every day, but especially on their birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...