Monday, March 17, 2014

Jack is Ten Months Old

Jack is ten months old today -- on St. Patrick's Day!  Only one more "first" holiday after this for him ... Easter.  And then another milestone, his first birthday.


(The bribing has already started ... a few Cheerios were necessary for the photo shoot!)

I took Jack and Sophia to the doctor for their well-child check-up last week.  Sophia has grown 4.5" in the last year!  She is starting to look so tall to me.  Both of my girls are above average in height.  How is that possible?!

Jack now weighs 16 lbs 10 oz, and while he has definitely gained weight in the last three months (since our last doctor's visit), his weight gain has started to slow down a bit.  This happens whenever babies start to become more active; more stretching, reaching, flailing, etc.  While the doctor is not too concerned because he hasn't lost weight, we would like to see him continue to put on more pounds.  So, Jack started on organic whole milk yogurt (I was waiting for the doctor's approval on this) and he loves it!  Suffice to say, he will eat a whole carton in one meal if I let him.  He is also getting more milk (from my freezer supply) in his sippee cup at every meal.  He can drink 4 ounces with each meal, in addition to nursing 4-5 times a day.


We have also noticed that Jack has started to show a preference for some food items now.  Don't get me wrong -- that boy will eat just about anything (green beans need to be mixed in his yogurt if he is ever going to ingest those, though).  But, if you line up a row of alternating Cheerios and baby goldfish crackers, he will purposefully pick through the line-up and eat all of the goldfish crackers!  If, in his mind, he is done eating a particular food with a meal, he will clamp his mouth shut and not allow you to put it in there if he sees it heading toward him on the spoon/fork.  It's hilarious. 

Jack has four teeth now; two on the bottom and two on the top.  Thank goodness that other top tooth came in because my little man was starting to look like a semi-toothless beaver!

Jack has started to show such an interest in his toys this month.  If he is full and his diaper is fresh, he will sit and entertain himself for a good 30 minutes.  As long as he has an assortment of toys, he will go through each one, playing with it for a few minutes before discarding it and moving onto another one. 



His sisters can get him to wear just about anything!  I turned around one day and saw this ...


(Although I do cringe whenever I see this headband.  Sophia received that last summer on the fateful day that she stuck a blue bead up her nose and I spent a good portion of my day in the pediatrics emergency room.  I never want to go through that again!)

Jack has also began to pay attention to books.  He will sit on my lap and flip through the pages non-stop, pausing to "touch and feel" various things.  Sometimes he will do it on his accord.  I just love this stage!



Jack alternates with his bath, sometimes in the sink and sometimes in the tub.  The sink is easier because he will sit there more easily and I don't have to worry about him slipping.  The splashing has gotten a bit out of hand lately though ... My kitchen windows need a good washing from the soap residue that is all over them!



Now that the weather is starting to get more tolerable (well, there were a couple of snow days last week -- in March!), Jack has gotten away with not needing to wear his snowsuit every time that we go out.  So, he has been able to start sporting his tennis shoes.  He looks so grown-up with them on!



Jack's personality is so laid-back and he seems to just go with the flow.  He is easy to figure out as long as his basic needs are all met.  He sticks to a pretty good schedule and only fusses when he has a dirty diaper or he is tired/bored. 

I love that he will eat just about anything.  It makes trips out to restaurants so easy for me -- I pack a few things for him to eat and then he just grazes off of my plate.  I can't wait to see what this summer has in store for us ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mid-Month Randoms: Focus on Sophia and James

I went through my camera roll and decided to do a "Mid-Month Randoms" post with some of the pictures that were on the reel, and th...