Thursday, April 17, 2014

Jack is 11 Months Old



One month from today, my little man will be exactly a year old.  All sorts of feelings are surrounding this thought -- sometimes I think that the months have gone by too quickly; I wish that they would slow down and keep my little boy "little."  Sometimes I forget just how small he was and how he would automatically just snuggle in close for some "momma-time;"  And other times, I start to relish how fun our days have been now that we are on a schedule and he is pretty predictable.

This last month, I managed to take Jack to the lab for a blood allergy test.  He has always had sensitive skin (flare-ups with patches of eczema) and his doctor suggested that we have a blood panel done to rule out any allergies, even the most obscure ones.  Jack did great; he barely even whimpered while his blood was being drawn.  I attribute this to the fact that I was able to hold him the entire time, instead of having to lay him down and restrain him like he normally is for his vaccinations.  The blood work came back negative for any allergies, and his skin has actually been looking pretty good lately (knock on wood).

Jack has not attempted to crawl yet, and I am content with that.  I like the fact that I can set him down in one area and know that he isn't going to go too far.  With that being said, he just started this week really reaching for items and preparing for the crawling position. 

(Momma's phone is always a great attraction):


In my experience, my babies begin stretching for items just out of their reach and then flip their legs over and assume the crawling position.  Jack is just about ready to begin flipping his legs over ... I give it just a matter of days.



In the meantime, Jack loves to play with all of his toys.  He has begun "talking" to them now ... cooing and changing the tone of his voice as he moves from toy to toy.



In general, he is content to play with his toys for 20 minute intervals, assuming that all of the variables are in place.  That is, if he is not overly tired, hungry or has a dirty diaper.



He found this "oldie but goodie" Elmo book that has been with us for years.  He figured out how to push the "doorbell" button on it and it brings him such pleasure.  I must hear that doorbell ring 20 times a day (and I have gone to the front door at least twice now thinking that someone was there!).



And finally ... some BOY toys!  Yes, Jack thought that he was the king of the house when he discovered Sam's remote controlled truck.  Jack even knows how to move it back and forth as if he is driving the truck!



When I am in the kitchen, Jack likes to join me.  His new fascination is the dishwasher -- particularly the door.  He scoots back and forth with the door and seems to have so much fun playing with it.  My girls are still in charge of unloading it, though!

 
 
Another new interest: the cats.  Jack officially knows the word "kitty" now and all I have to do is say the word and he begins crooning his neck to try and find one of them within sight.  He even changes his voice an entire octave every time he sees one of them.  It makes me smile.
 
 
 
Perhaps Jack's greatest accomplishment this month was the use of his sippee cup.  He has finally mastered holding it for himself!  We have been encouraging this for the last several weeks, but he finally understands the concept now. 
 
 
 
With this milestone begins the end of his baby phase.  Jack has begun self-weaning from nursing.  When I realized what was happening, I was a little bit sad.  I guess that I always thought that I would have to be the one to begin the process with him, not the other way around.  Now that he figured out that he can drink milk from a sippee cup anytime that he wants, he prefers that.  

 
 
We are down to only one nursing session a day (first thing in the morning) and then he drinks organic whole cow's milk during the day.  I am mixing in the last bit of my frozen supply, and then he will be consuming just the cow's milk.  It doesn't seem to give him any problem -- he loves that and his organic whole milk yogurt. 
 
With this change in his diet, I am anxious to see how much more he has begun to plump up.  We will go back to the doctor in a month for his 1 year check-up.  My baby is not a baby anymore ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...