Sunday, May 25, 2014

My Kitchen Helper

It has been a while since Samantha has helped me in the kitchen.  That is due mostly to the fact that she has been in school most mornings when I cook, and Sophia helps me then.  The other day, I needed to make some bread pudding (we had some bread rolls that needed to be used up) and I asked if she wanted to help me.  Sophia was preoccupied (and Samantha wanted it that way!), so she put on Sophia's apron and set to work.

Cracking the eggs:



We have to work on this particular skill a bit more, but all in all, she did great.  She kept all of the egg shells out of the bowl!



Lightly beating the eggs:



A quick smile for her momma:



The milk gave us a chance to talk about measurements and how we use a graduated measuring cup to measure out liquids accurately.  Very steady pouring too.



Adding some raisins for the bread pudding:



Overall, Samantha did a great job helping me.  I had forgotten how much more accomplished and competent she is at her age in comparison to my usual three-year old helper.  Two years makes a big difference in baking skills!  I am going to try to do this a little more often this summer -- rotate letting the girls help me.  It's good for them to be able to do things individually and I will try to choose the baking tasks that are more geared toward that particular helper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...