Friday, November 20, 2015

Party Prep

Sophia has always been my little helper -- if I need help in the kitchen, she's the first to offer.  And if it involves crafts or any kind of party prep, she is the first in line every time.  I love this about her. 

And I especially welcomed her help this time around when it seemed like I was running just a wee bit behind ...

So while Samantha was at school and Jack was napping, Sophia spent a couple of hours with me down in my office happily performing every task that I assigned her.

Samantha's Wizard of Oz party centered various aspects of the movie/book, but I also chose to incorporate the rainbow details from Dorothy's famous song, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

Stuffing the piñata with candy leftover from Halloween.  (We had a lot of candy left over because there were not very many trick-or-treaters this year due to the nasty weather, and this was the perfect excuse to use up the candy!).



Sophia had helped me last week to make poppy flowers out of random pieces of red and yellow tissue paper that I had on hand in my wrapping drawer.  I also had the pipe cleaners in my craft kit already.  Then, she set to work assembling them in tin cans (Tin Man!) that we had saved over the course of the last week.  They made the perfect (cheap!) table setting and tied together the idea that Dorothy had traveled through a field of poison poppy flowers in the movie.



Frankly, Sophia did a better job than me actually displaying them in the cans!



Using newspaper to stuff an old pair of tights leftover from a Halloween costume to look like the Wicked Witch of the East outside of our house.  Right before this, Sophia had arranged the rainbow candies (Skittles and Starburst) in a bowl to use as prizes for one of the games.



I was finally able to talk Samantha into helping out a bit tonight with the layering of the cupcake pans for her Rainbow Cupcakes.  Sophia was quick to join in, as well.



Whew!  Almost everything is done ... I can't wait to see how the parties go this weekend.  I just know that Samantha is going to be so pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...