Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Mid-Week Randoms

We have had a lot of snow days in the last two weeks, thanks to two separate storms that moved through our area.  I would be lying if I said that I wasn't anxious to get the kids back to school and into some sort of routine around here.  This momma was starting to go a bit stir-crazy.  But the good news is that I have a boy that loves to shovel snow.



Sometimes, he tends to throw the snow back over the area that was recently shoveled, but I don't really mind ...



********************

My little ones (minus the littlest one), poised and ready to open their Valentine's Day gifts from Steve and me on Valentine's Day morning:



Each of them received a couple little items and a bag of gummy candy.  One of Jack's special surprises was a dinosaur egg that would hatch in water over a period of 2-3 days. 



I was skeptical, but it really worked!



Over time, the dinosaur inside absorbed the water and became large enough to actually "break out" of the shell:



Capturing his dinosaur to keep:


(Note: Over time, the dinosaur has started to shrink {as water evaporated out}, but we put him back in water and he started to "grow" again).

********************

Sophia celebrated with her preschool class for Valentine's Day on the 16th.  With it being a couple of days after the actual holiday, it gave me a chance to recover a little more and then be able to be there for the party.  This made Sophia SO happy ... and it made Jack even happier, as he was able to partake that day.

Mrs. Dickenson helped to fix a plate of food for Jack:



Snacking with her friends:



Opening valentines!



In the meantime, Jack busied himself with the legos:



And James slept peacefully in his car seat (after having a complete 'blow-out' in his diaper shortly after our arrival):



********************

I found this picture on my camera; obviously Steve had taken it.  When did my little girl (ahem, 7-year old) grow up?



********************

Celebrating Steve's birthday with something other than cake with frosting -- a peach cobbler.  Every year, I try to think of something a little less cake-like for him since it is a known fact that he is not a fan of sweet frosting.



Blowing out the candles with all of his little ones (aka "his whole world") in attendance:



********************

I have a tradition that I make cinnamon rolls on the morning of each kid's birthday and serve them with a candle.  Sophia had looked forward to this all week long.  And what made it even better?  It was a snow day -- no school!



Jack, Sam and I sang happy birthday to her:



Later that day, I frosted her cake and she wanted to be the one to put the five candles in it.  Absolutely, Little Girl.  Absolutely.



Blowing out her candles that night after dinner:



I love this picture because it describes her perfectly; a smile on her face and extra accessories in her hair.



********************

Taken right before the Daddy-Daughter Dance:


Next year, Steve will be taking BOTH Sophia and Samantha as his dates!

********************

Steve brought some extra lumber home from work one night to use in the fireplace.  Before he could toss it in there, Sophia and Jack confiscated it and used it to build a (very creative) parking station for all of their vehicles.



And then the next morning, Jack set to work (with gloves on!) to build some sort of tower.  Honestly, those wood pieces occupied the kids for a full week.



********************

Samantha's 2nd grade class learned about life cycles a couple of weeks ago and started a bean plant from seed.  Once it sprouted, they brought it home.  It was obvious that the plant was thriving so well that it needed to be replanted.  I am amazed at how much it has grown in such a short amount of time.  Pretty soon, I am going to have to make an executive decision on where to plant it.  After all, it almost needs a trellis now.



********************

I could melt when this little boy looks at me like this:



********************

Working on a painting project that was a gift from one of her friends for her birthday:




********************

On my birthday, the girls were shopping at the American Girl Store with Aunt Deb and Uncle Dennis, so "my boys" took me to lunch:


********************

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...