Tuesday, March 22, 2016

St. Patrick's Day - 2016

The last couple of years, I've done a St. Patrick's Day breakfast for the kids before they head off to school.  They really look forward to it, and it doesn't take that much effort on my part.  It does mean that we need to hurry through it in order to make it out the door on time, but I love seeing the excitement in their eyes and the opportunity to start the day out on a good note.

This year, I set my alarm earlier than usual so that I could get a jump start on things, especially since I did minimal prep the night before.  (I had the best of intentions to do so, but I was so tired once I finally got James down for bed, that I went to sleep at the same time).  Then, I was up so much with him in the middle of the night that I haphazardly hit the snooze button on my alarm that morning and then flew out of bed, realizing what tasks I had to get done before the kids awoke.

The gold and green glitter paper ("placemats") and lime-green forks were left over from Samantha's Wizard of Oz birthday party in the Fall.  The headbands are an "oldie, but goodie" prop from about four years ago that I continue to pull out each year.  And the beads ... well, we have no less than about 100 strands of those all over the house -- a bulk purchase that Steve made many years ago to celebrate one of his favorite holidays.




Add in a few chocolate gold coins and some festive napkins and plates, and it made for a cute place setting at each of their respective seats.



I shaped some cinnamon rolls into shamrocks and popped those into the oven.



Meanwhile, the kids waited with rainbow fruit skewers and some green punch.  (Let it be known that I never serve punch for breakfast, but it was a special day!).



Then, for an extra pop of color, I added some green dye to the icing for the shamrock cinnamon rolls.  Not too much.  After all, the kids still needed to go to school and I didn't want their lips covered in green goo.



And what holiday would be complete without a photo of my little ones?

Jack is working on his smile these days.  Lately, he likes to say "cheese" and squint his little chocolate-brown eyes.  This was one of the better pictures. 

Wow, he's going to be three in just a couple of months.  He's growing up so fast.



My four kids.  I am really the lucky one this St. Patrick's Day.



Jimmy's 1st St. Patrick's Day ... wearing a bib that I have had since Sophia was a baby.



And when Steve arrived home from work, we took a quick picture of him and his boys ... all sporting some green for the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...