Sunday, July 17, 2016

Jimmy's First Meal

On July 8th, Jimmy had his first solid "meal."  He had just turned five months that week (on the 4th) and I have typically waited until six months of age to introduce solids to my little ones.  But, he has been showing signs of being ready for a couple of weeks now -- reaching for spoons, opening his mouth while sitting on my lap as I am eating, etc. 

So I called Samantha into the kitchen, mashed up an organic banana (I try to begin with as many organic fruits and vegetables as I can) and grabbed my camera to document the first meal. 

If the look on his face is any indication, Jimmy wasn't quite sure what to think:



Pausing to look at me with the biggest/brightest blue eyes EVER, as if to tell me that the banana was semi-satisfying:



Yup, he was a fan of it after a single taste.



Let's take a moment here to note the stark difference in eye color below.  Sam's are a gorgeous brown color and Jimmy's are a stunning blue.  I am so sure that his will stay blue ... and that makes me smile because it will mean that I will have a brown-eyed girl and brown-eyed boy (Samantha and Jack) and a blue-eyed girl and blue-eyed boy (Sophia and James).  How perfect.



Still enjoying those bananas:



Licking it off the bib:



It was only a half of a banana, but Jimmy decided that he needed a little water to wash it down:


It was then that Sophia rounded the corner and wanted to help:



And, of course, Jack did not want to feel left out!  I think that my heart nearly doubled in size when I saw Jack (the sweetest big brother that ever lived) helping to feed James. 


Since then, we have slowly introduced a few solids and there isn't one that Jimmy doesn't like, yet.  He has solids about twice a day, sometimes only once, as he still relies heavily on breastmilk for his nutrition.  I make all of the foods myself and try to maintain a little texture to them so that he will transition to other "table foods" more easily down the road. 

I am so excited for this new milestone with little one and even more excited that it is happening during the summer when produce is in abundance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...