Friday, March 24, 2017

Mid-Week Randoms

Like we have done in the past, the kids made their own valentines for their friends at school this year.  Samantha chose to do blow-pop suckers with a (free) printable that I found online and Sophia opted for Starbursts, again with a (free) printable.  For Jack, I went a completely different route and we did a dinosaur theme -- eggs that "hatch" dinosaurs when placed in water and a dinosaur stamp, packaged together in a bag with another (free) printable.  We even gave the teachers some EOS chapsticks that were put together so cutely.




The finished valentines, ready to pass out to each of their friends and teachers:



Valentine's Day morning:



********************

Steve is not really a big fan of birthday cake (or any desserts).  Every year, I try to "think outside of the box," and make something that isn't overly sweet but yet, something that we can still put candles in and sing happy birthday to the birthday boy.  Well, I overheard him mention to Sam that he would like a hamburger cake for his birthday this year (after seeing a commercial for one on TV).  I'm sure that he was kind of joking and never ... in a million years ... would think that I would make one for him.  Oh, but I did!



Yellow cake, lightly tinted brown with rice krispy cereal on the top to simulate the bun, chocolate cake for the burger with crumbs on it for a more real appearance, mustard and ketchup made with colored frosting and smashed green candy fruit slices for the lettuce.  He was really surprised!

Ready to open presents!



Jimmy was wearing his appropriate "My dad is super rad shirt" for the special occasion:


A family pic with a few of us actually looking at the camera:



********************

The night of my birthday was very low-key.  I made spaghetti for dinner (my favorite) and once the kids were tucked in bed, I set to work drawing and coloring the peacock for Sophia's birthday "Pin the Feather on the Peacock" game.



********************

For St. Patrick's Day, Jack designed a leprechaun house at school:



He brought it home and we set it up on the eve of St. Patrick's Day.  That night, a leprechaun (with big feet) stopped by and left some candy and cookies for the kids.



Cinnamon rolls shaped like shamrocks for breakfast:



My boys, sporting green for the holiday:



All of the kids, with James pretty much done with this whole picture thing.  Ha!



********************

Crazy Hair Day at school:


Sophia's hair is pretty long when it is wet; it's amazing just how much it curls up.


I've always been one to tell her how beautiful her hair is, never wanting her to feel self-conscious over how curly it is.  My hair was just as curly as hers when I was growing up and I was often teased.  I get compliments on it now and have learned to embrace it and I want her to be proud of it too.  There are a lot of women that would pay a lot of money for curls like that!

My momma heart just about exploded when she came home with this paper from school last week:



She said that she is special because ... she has 'curly hair."  I just love her.


********************

A walk in the woods with Jack.  This boy would live there if he could.



A bridge on our path:



Pointing out deer tracks in the mud:



********************

An impromptu photo of my gang:


(And can we just talk about the cuteness of James holding onto his sisters' hands?)


********************

Snow in March?  Yes, when you live in Michigan. 


This kid is intrigued with anything that runs, including the snow thrower.  On this particular day, Steve was teaching him (and standing very nearby) how to use it.  By next winter, my four-year old is going to be cleaning out the driveway by himself!

********************


No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...