Sunday, March 11, 2018

Jack's Jeans

Jack is so hard on his jeans.  He's all boy and he works harder than anyone that I know.

I spend the extra money on jeans for him because I want them to last more than a couple of weeks.  Just recently, he started getting holes in the knees of his jeans.  Some of them were getting short on him (he must have hit a growth spurt) and I ordered new ones to replace the ripped ones.  But, Steve had the idea to put patches on the knees  -- iron-on patches from yesteryear.

The next thing that I knew, the patches arrived in the mail and Jack was anxious to have me put them on his jeans.  I sent him to school with the promise that I would fix three pairs of jeans before I picked him up.

I lined them up and started heating the iron.  And then, I decided that rectangular patches were kind of boring.  I ended up cutting shapes and double reinforcing the knees.



A pentagon, a star and a hand-drawn chainsaw.  The chainsaw turned out better than I could have hoped -- made out of a lighter-colored patch, cut out and ironed onto a darker patch and then colored with a sharpie.

Jack twirled around with them and immediately called his dad at work to tell him as soon as he saw the jeans.  And my momma heart soared.

Until ... later that weekend, when I asked him how he liked his jeans with the patches (he had worn a different pair each day for two days).

He looked at me and said, "Welllllllllll ... I would like them better if you had made a weed-whipper ... or a snow-thrower ... or a four-wheeler ... for a patch.  I like my chainsaw but I would have liked something else like that on the other jeans."

And that's my boy.  No man's tool or piece of equipment is too much for him.  In fact, they are at the heart of his existence and always at the forefront of his mind.

Note to self: practice drawing said items above for the next pair of jeans that gets ripped.

1 comment:

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...