Monday, October 1, 2018

The Orchard

I go to the orchard every Sunday for a weekly meeting and sometimes I take the kids with me and sometimes I go alone.  They really enjoy going, but depending on our weekend activities, it doesn't always work out. 

A couple of weeks ago, we made plans to head out there on a Saturday and spend most of the day there.  We invited one of Sophia's friends to come with us, and it's safe to say that everyone had a blast.  Jimmy was so tired by the time that we left that he fell asleep in his car seat before we had even made it a 1/2 mile down the road.


Picking Galas out in the orchard:



Sophia picked more than one and savored them on the wagon ride back up front.



I can't get over how beautiful and clear the sky was that day.  It was the perfect temperature outside and we couldn't have chosen a better day to go.



Apples for everyone!


Jack bit into his apple as soon as he picked it off the tree.  Yup, my kids are raised on apples, applesauce and cider, just as I was growing up.



We spent a great deal of time in the store (stocking shelves and bagging apples) and zipped out back to feed the pigs our leftover apple cores.  I was too busy to take pictures at the time, but made sure to grab some out in the pumpkin patch.

We let everyone pick out their own pumpkin -- those will be the ones that they carve the week of Halloween -- and it interesting to see how each of them had their own idea of what constituted "the perfect pumpkin."



Searching for the best one that she could find:



Jimmy was starting to get a little tired at this point and I turned around to find him resting on a pile of pumpkins. 


Samantha's was the biggest one and I had Steve haul it back to the van for us.  It was certainly heavier than it looks.  (Little does she know that the bigger the pumpkin, the more cleaning out she will have to do inside when she is carving it!  Ha!).



Along the outer perimeter of the pumpkin patch, there were some gorgeous Red Delicious apples.  They are huge this year and the deepest red that I can recall them ever being.  Jack couldn't resist picking one, and I don't blame him. 



The whole crew:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...