Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Summer Crafting

Our neighbor is heading off to the University of Michigan this Fall (full-ride scholarship!), so her family celebrated her and her 18th birthday with a party/open house in July.  I wanted to do something special -- more than just a card and a gift card/money -- so I saw something like this online and decided to recreate it.




Between the frame and the dollar coins in the jar (for laundry, parking, vending machine, etc), we were able to give her the same monetary amount that we would have given her in the form of a check or gift card.  And it made an adorable display at the party too!

********************

Samantha and I started a llama pillow together (a gift from one of her friends for her birthday) while we were camping up north.  After we arrived back home, she was determined to finish it -- all in one day.  We worked on it feverishly and we both LOVE how it turned out.



Lots of needle-threading, stitching, tying, cutting ...



The finished product!



********************

One afternoon, while Jimmy was napping, I set up a table in the garage with some paints and brushes and asked the kids if they would like to paint rocks.  They love a good project, just like their momma, so they set off immediately to find the most desirable rocks.



I gave them a few ideas and a little direction, but I chose to sit back and let their creativity ebb.



The concentration (and peace and quiet!) was wonderful.



Sam's first rock was Mt. Everest with an inspriational saying that he later wrote on it.



And now, the rocks are used as door stoppers for their rooms and are also scattered throughout my rock garden.  It makes me smile whenever I am out there weeding or watering and I catch of glimpse of them and their beautiful colors.

********************

I decided that it would be easier for Jimmy to VISUALIZE how many days he has left until he starts preschool (a question that he asks me daily) if we made a countdown.  So one morning, we set to work cutting/gluing/stapling.



Making the chain:



He wanted to add his own embellishments:



And then we hung it up by the fireplace so that he can rip a single chain link off every night before bed.  And once the last link is ripped off, it will be time to go to school the next morning!



********************


No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...