Friday, November 29, 2019

Samantha's 11th Birthday

Last year, when Samantha turned 10, I admit that I felt a few pangs of sadness that day.  She turned double-digits and was growing up faster than I would have liked.  It felt like it was a turning point in her life -- no different than a Sweet Sixteen, an 18th birthday, a 21st birthday and maybe even a 40th.

But, this year, she really felt old to me and I struggled even more.  My little girl is in middle school now and her cherub face is thinning.  She has such strong opinions about so many things and she needs me less and less.  I don't know how many more special birthday parties she will let me plan for her so we made sure that this one hinged on both the things that we have always done (the friends at our house, the food, cupcakes and candles, at least one good game) and then added in some more sophisticated things (pampering, nonalcoholic margaritas and a chocolate fountain).  It was the perfect balance.

I took less pictures than usual, as I realized later that I was just being in the moment.  And that night, when she was still glowing with the excitement of being celebrated by the friends that love her the most, I knew that we could still have this every year.  After all, there is no more precious holiday than your birthday ...

Her friends arrived in their pajamas, ready to sip margaritas and get pampered.



All of the guests received their own robe (the colors were chosen by Samantha ahead of time and hanging up with their name tag when they arrived).

They settled in at a table where we began with face masks.  I had chosen four different types that I mixed ahead of time and they were able to choose which one that they wanted.



Sophia went with the popular "mud mask."  While the masks were hydrating their faces, I introduced the girls to the game of Scattergories.  They loved it so much that we ended up playing several rounds.



Next, up manicures.  I ran this station and the girls loved choosing their own polish (which they later got to take home with them).



Such a fun group of girls!



Pedicures! And what is better than a pedicure?  Eaching your snack from the chocolate fountain WHILE getting your pedicure!



Later, we had a full nacho bar and refills on margaritas.



The chocolate fountain was a popular place ...



Singing happy birthday to the soon-to-be-eleven-year-old:



I found this sign online and couldn't resist printing it.  It was perfect for the event!



It was a pretty relaxing party -- just as the wooden sign in her hand implies.



********************

Round 2 -- we celebrated her the weekend before her birthday with presents from us and an apple pie.



Every single one of us was happy with her choice of dessert!



Big smiles!




********************

Round 3 -- as is tradition, I made cinnamon rolls on the morning of her birthday before school.  And per her request, I made a whole platter of dirt brownies for her 1st hour class ...



********************

Round 4 -- her last birthday celebration (what can I say; I LOVE birthdays!) was with our families on Thanksgiving.  I surprised her with a homemade oreo cake -- she loves oreos -- and we sang AGAIN to the girl that forever holds a place in my heart as the little one that made me a "mom."




********************


No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...