Monday, October 12, 2009

Goodbye, Fuzz

Today was a very sad day in this household … and I am sure that the next few days will be as well. Out beloved cat, Fuzz, was put to sleep today. He was very old (almost 18 years) and his health started to deteriorate dramatically within the last week. My sister (our vet) gave me a shot to administer last week to possibly help with the side effects of his deterioration, but she was simply being optimistic; she knew that his time was coming.

Last night, before Steve and I went to bed, Fuzz wasn’t walking very well and then this morning, when I went to pick him up to put him in bed with me, I realized that his entire belly was bloated and very hard. I called my sister crying early this morning and we discussed different options because it was clear that I didn’t want him to suffer or be in any pain. Fuzz hates to ride in the car and I just couldn’t bear the idea of driving an hour to the clinic and then to put him to sleep immediately upon arriving. I just couldn’t do it.

So, Michele came to my house this afternoon and while Fuzz lay in my arms and I cuddled him the very best that I could, he peacefully drifted off to sleep. I know that it was for the best and that reasoning alone provided me with the strength to let go of something that was so special to me.

We will likely get another cat in the near future. The new cat will never be a replacement for Fuzz, but rather, someone new to love. And, someone that Sam will be able to interact with, just like she did with our beloved Fuzz. We love you and will miss you, Fuzz!


Giving Fuzz extra attention this morning

Reading books with Fuzz

Watching Sesame Street with Fuzz nearby (like always)

Resting peacefully on my book this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...