Friday, April 9, 2010

A New Home for Mendel

A few posts ago, I wrote about how we are fostering two kittens and their mother until the kittens are able to be weaned. The kittens are now 6 weeks old and are pretty much weaned from their mother, Mia. In the meantime, I fell in love with each kitten and begged Steve to allow me to keep all of the cats. (The original intention was to keep one of the kittens for ourselves and to find a home for the other kitten and the mother. We were pleasantly surprised that the mother was such a great cat and we decided to keep her for ourselves). Steve stayed firm on the idea that we cannot take on three cats -- two is plenty. I begged, pleaded and even cried. Afterall, I hate the idea of splitting up the two brothers.

Last night, I responded to a posting that Steve had put on Craigslist. There is a girl that is willing to adopt Mendel (the gray kitten) and has promised to give him a loving home (and even spoil him). She also promised to send me a picture of him every once in a while.

My sister reminded me that I gave those kittens an opportunity that they were not destined to have; if my sister had not been at Animal Control that day almost 7 weeks ago, they would have been euthanized. She rescued them. And if Steve and I had not agreed to foster them, they would have spent the majority of their time thus far in a cage at the animal clinic.

Mendel is strong -- he's the bigger one of the two -- and he will thrive in his new home. I wanted to keep Watson (whose name may change) because he's smaller (and more vunerable) and I seem to like his personality just a tad bit more.

So, Mendel will be leaving us tonight. His new owner, Mary, will be coming to pick him up and take him to his new home. I'm sure that it will be hard for me because I love his cute, little furry body so much, but I am making the most of our time together today. He will always have a special place in my heart ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...