Thursday, August 26, 2010

Welcome Home, Steve!



Steve came home from China on Monday night, after being gone for 17 days (I was counting ...). He had traveled to China in February this year, but Samantha was only 15 months old and didn't really understand that he was gone. This time, six months later, it was much more difficult for her.

We thought that it would be nice to use Skype and the webcam so that we could communicate at least once a day. In doing so, Samantha would be able to see and talk to her daddy. We learned during the first time that we did this, that it only made things worse. She hyperventilated to the point of throwing-up on me because she was so distraught over missing Steve and having to say goodbye to him over the computer. I still talked to him, but made sure that Sam was pre-occupied most of the time.

It was also difficult for me to keep telling a toddler at least 40 times a day that Daddy was at work and that Daddy would be home soon, etc. She kept looking out the window and asking where he was ... This broke my heart.

When he finally came home, Sam went running out the front door and met him in the driveway. The reunion was so sweet and he surprised her by bringing back a stuffed panda bear. I am convinced that that bear is now her most prized possession. She carries it with her everywhere, and sleeps with it tucked in her arms.

Unfortunately, there are more trips to China in Steve's future. Maybe it won't be so hard for Samantha now that we have experienced a "trial run" -- it's hard to say. I just try to keep her (and myself) as busy as possible so that the time flies by a little quicker. My mom and my sister have also been a big help in keeping Sam distracted and giving me some help around the house as well. For that, I am incredibly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...