Thursday, November 11, 2010

The (Dreaded) Time Change

I'm not going to lie -- it's been a hard week. While most people revel in the idea of the big time change taking place in the Fall, bringing with it an "extra hour of sleep," I can't help but feel frustration over it this year. It seems that my little one has somehow sensed this change in time (I can't explain it, but apparently other parents notice this with their children too). While nothing has changed in her room (it continues to be dark during normal sleeping hours) and we are maintaining the same night-time schedule, she has consistently been getting up early every single morning this week. And by "early" I am referring to 5:20 am.

I have tried to get her back to sleep, but to no avail. Instead, she is ready to go and spouting her letters and numbers loudly, as if to tell me that it is time to learn. Perhaps she is just excited about all of the new-found words, colors, numbers, letters, etc. that she has been learning and can't wait to practice them. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that she will be turning 2 in a week and that is a huge developmental milestone. Either way, it centers around this time change and I am not enjoying it too much.

Yesterday, we were talking to Steve just briefly on the computer (he comes home from China in a week), and in the middle of the conversation, Sam just went over and laid on the floor. I called her over to say "good-bye" to her Daddy and when she didn't respond, I went and checked on her. She was fast-asleep on the floor ... just like that. She has NEVER done that! She was so tired that she just clonked out right there and I carried her up to her bed for a 3.5 hour nap! Woo-hoo ... Mommy got a little rest too!


Too cute for words!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...