Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sophia's Birth Story

From the very beginning of this pregnancy, my doctor and I began discussing delivery options. It was difficult for me to deliver Samantha simply because of my narrow pelvic region and my curved tailbone. While I delivered Samantha without a c-section, it was determined that if this baby was much bigger than her, that a c-section would likely be the safer option. Of course, we wouldn't be able to determine the baby's size until we got much closer to my due date of March 3rd.

As my pregnancy progressed, several doctors (including my own) told me that this baby was definitely bigger than Samantha. An ultrasound at 37 weeks confirmed that the baby was measuring about a week ahead of schedule. It was then that I made the decision to schedule a c-section near 39 weeks. I could still go into labor on my own and depending on how I was progressing, I could possibly try to deliver the baby without a c-section. It was just safer to have a c-section scheduled anyway.

My doctor gave me a few choices on possible dates for my scheduled c-section, and after weighing all of the options, Steve and I chose February 26th. This date is right between our birthdays (Steve's birthday is on the 25th and mine is the on the 27th). In doing so, the baby could have its OWN birthday ...


I made it to 39 weeks without going into labor on my own! This surprised me since Samantha came 2 1/2 weeks early ... (We later learned that my body had been laboring for a quite a while, but because the baby couldn't drop into my pelvic canal and her head was actually going OVER my pelvis, that my labor wasn't progressing. It turns out that I would have had to deliver this baby by c-section anyway).

As luck would have it, Samantha developed a cold the week of my scheduled c-section. This meant that I had to re-evalulate our babysitting plans for her and possibly avoid having her come up to the hospital to see me and the baby. This thought was devastating to me, but in the end, it all worked out just fine ...


Steve and I got to the hospital at 10 am on February 26th (two hours before my scheduled c-section). Right away, the nurse began getting prepped for surgery (blood draws, IVs, antibiotics, etc.). I remember thinking how everything just seemed so calm and so relaxed.


With both of our parents out in the waiting room, Steve and I headed down to the operating room at 11:40 am. Steve was dressed in "scrubs" and had to stay outside of the OR until after I received my spinal anesthesia and was completely ready for surgery (about a 15 minute wait for him). Much to my amazement, Steve watched the ENTIRE surgery; in fact, both him and Dr. Barton took turns telling me exactly what was happening for the entire event. I enjoyed that. When the baby was pulled out, Steve leaned over and whispered to me, "It's a girl! And she's dancing all over the place!" I cried tears of happiness at that moment.


Not only was the gender of the baby a surprise for us, but her weight was quite a shock -- even for my doctor. Sophia Marie (Marie is my middle name), was 8 lbs 4 oz! Dr. Barton's estimate (right before surgery) was a pound lower than that! Once again, I would never have been able to deliver her on my own.




Following the surgery, I was wheeled (along with Sophia) into a recovery room where I would stay for 2 hours and be monitored. After I got settled in, Steve got out the video recorder and took it with him out into the waiting room so that he would record for us the reactions of our parents when he shared the news. Afterwards, they all came back to see Sophia and me.


Samantha was able to come and meet her little sister the next day (on my birthday). She was feeling much better and was genuinely excited about this new addition to our family!



Sophia and I were released from the hospital on March 1st, and I was SO ready to come home at that point. I missed Samantha dreadfully and I was eager to just relax and recover in my own home. Steve came and picked us up that morning and Sophia came home wearing the same little bear outfit that Sam wore home from the hospital two years ago.


When we arrived home, my mom was here with Sam and I just gave her the biggest hug ever. Of course, she was happy that I was home, but the bigger thrill for her was seeing her little sister again. I will never forget how special that moment was ...


Steve and I are truly blessed with two beautiful little girls, and I know that I couldn't be any happier than I am right now. Sure, I am a little sleep-deprived and there are days when I feel like I might be stretched a little too thin around here. But all it takes is a hug from Samantha as she tells me that she loves me or that captivating stare from Sophia as she moves her little lips in anticipation for milk, and I just melt.

I am so lucky that I can stay home with these girls and watch each moment as they change. I still work part-time teaching college chemistry lectures and labs and that too, fulfills me. I am so passionate about teaching and am so passionate about my growing family. Life is good ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...