Thursday, May 19, 2011

2 1/2


Samantha is exactly 2 1/2 years old today. And I taught her to say that too.

I couldn't help but get a little nostalgic today as I thought back ... not to her birth date (because that is in November) ... but rather, to this time exactly two years ago. May 2009 was a big month for her.

Probably the biggest milestone that month was that she tried rice cereal for the first time. Yes, it was her first time with solids, her first time with a spoon and her first time in her high chair. It was a momentous event.


Mother's Day that month marked the first time that Samantha and I traveled together and spent the night away from home. We stayed overnight at a hotel in Grand Rapids with my sister-in-law (and her kids). It was definitely a fun time and Samantha used her bathing suit (and ladybug float) for the first time.





Finally, May 2009 was a big month for Samantha because she got her ears pierced. She did great -- she cried for about 10 seconds and then she stopped. She never tried to pull her earrings out or even touched them until she turned two years old. By that time, I was able to explain to her (and have her understand me) that her earrings can only be removed by Mommy.




I will always have a very special place in my heart for this little girl, for she is the one who made me a mama for the very first time. Deep inside, I truly believe in heaven. And someday when I cross over there, I'd like to think that my moment of entrance will be experiencing again those precious minutes when I became a mother. All of my wanting, hoping and wishing came true as her little body was placed in my arms and I cradled her so close to me.

All of the pain and the long hours of pushing -- well, I would go back and do it a million times over just to remember again what it was like to be changed so instantly. I've never been so overwhelmed by love.

And somehow, that overwhelming feeling continues to be there every day; it has never gone away. If possible, it has only gotten stronger as I watch her grow, change and blossom into a beautiful little girl ... She brings me such joy and I know that I couldn't imagine being any happier.

Happy 2 1/2 years, Samantha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...