Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sophia's 12 Month Check-Up

I took Sophia to the doctor yesterday for her scheduled 12 month check-up. Her doctor seemed very pleased with her growth in the last couple of months. While she still remains in the lower percentile for weight (less than 5%), she continues to gain. In fact, she put on over a pound in the last 6 weeks. My doctor simply believes that because I am petite, my girls are too.

Sophia now weighs 16 lbs. 11 oz., and is 28.25" long. Her length puts her in the 25th percentile. She has an incredible appetite -- she eats anything and everything, and cries when you tell her that she's all done. She's been eating 'table foods' for the last couple of months, and manages just fine ... even though she only has 4 teeth.

We started her on cow's milk this last week, and she likes it. We haven't noticed any particular aversions to it, and she will drink it cold. We are working on transitioning her to a sippy cup; it's a struggle right now. She wants nothing to do with it, even though I have tried for a long time to use one with her. (Sam was using a sippy cup at 9 months of age and never used a bottle after that). I'm not too worried about it. I figure that she will finally start using one in the next month or so ...

We see a lot of this these days:


She will pull herself to a 'kneeling' position, but doesn't quite have the strength to pull herself up to a standing position yet. I've seen her do it a couple of times, but she will immediately fall back down within 10 seconds. I asked the doctor about this because I remember that Sam was pulling herself up to the couch at 9 months of age. The doctor doesn't seem too concerned because Sophia CAN do it. It's just a matter of time before she gains the confidence. (I'm really not in too big of a hurry; rather, I am enjoying the fact that she stays low to the ground and can't really do too much harm).

The girls continue to play so well together. Occasionally, I have to remind Sam that she needs to stay near Sophia when they are playing, and not wander off. Sophia is not very good with 'independent play' right now and prefers that someone be right there with her. Otherwise, she'll come looking for you and start to cry.

I love this picture of the girls because Sophia was purposefully making Sam laugh:



And yet, another one of my favorites (they didn't know that I was taking this picture):


I am the luckiest girl in the world -- I have two, healthy and happy little girls that make me smile everyday. I am so proud to call them mine ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...