Friday, February 24, 2012

Steve's Birthday Dessert

Steve isn't a big fan of desserts. So, every year for his birthday, I try to make something that he will like without being too "over the top" with sweetness.

In the past, I have made blueberry muffins (and stuck a candle in one of them):


Or I have made homemade angel food cake with strawberries:





But this year, Steve actually asked me to make a cake. And he asked simply because of Samantha -- he knew that she would want to help make an actual cake for his birthday and blow out the candles, etc.

So, he picked out a box of cake mix from the pantry and had it sitting on the kitchen counter this morning when Sam woke up. I told her that Daddy wanted us to make him a cake,and that we would do that while Sophia was taking her morning nap. Sam was thrilled!

She started with the water:



Then the oil:



I added the eggs, and then Samantha set to work stirring before I set up the mixer:


We decided to make a small cake (with no frosting) and then a few cupcakes. Sam was insistent that we make exactly 8 cupcakes, "because Daddy is going to be 38 ..."

She chose the color of cupcake papers and lined the pan:



The carrot cake and cupcakes, ready to be placed in the oven:



While the desserts were baking, I mixed up the frosting. What baking project would not be complete without letting Sam lick the frosting off the spatula at the end??!



After lunch, when the cupcakes were cooled, I let Sam in on a secret -- I told her that we were going to frost the cupcakes with camouflage frosting! Steve loves camouflage and this would make for a very nice surprise for him!

I had mixed up two colors of frosting (green and brown). Then I separated them in my piping bag with a piece of parchment paper. I had previously sprayed the paper, so that when I pulled it out, it would be a smooth transition (sort of). Then, as I squeezed my bag and piped the frosting out, it made a camouflage pattern ... just as I had hoped. We then finished off the look with green and brown sprinkles.


I let Sam do one cupcake all by herself (and you can see why it was only ONE cupcake -- there is NO PORTION CONTROL when it comes to sprinkles!):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...