Monday, October 1, 2012

Sick Sam



We knew that it would happen; it was inevitable.  As soon as Samantha started school, it was only a matter of time until she got sick.  Just being exposed to all of the kids and the germs would take its toll on her.  So this weekend, she came down with a cold.  I tried to keep it at bay, giving her medicine and making sure that she just relaxed a little.

Last night, though, she developed a little cough.  We snuggled her in bed and within about 25 minutes, she came back downstairs to tell us that she had thrown up in her bed (and on her pajamas).  Steve got her all cleaned up while I put a second set of clean linens on her bed.  We snuggled in her bed (yet again), but it was obvious that she was miserable and was having trouble sleeping.

I spent some time with her, rubbing her back and reading to her ... just hoping to settle her back down.  I left her in bed so that I could get ready for bed myself, only to hear her call out to me, crying, because she had gotten sick again. 

I changed the sheets again, this time putting a towel down (just in case) and was finally able to get her to sleep.  It was definitely a long night for her and me ... and the washing machine.

These are some of the quotes from her:
"I just don't feel like myself, Momma."

It's just no fun being sick, Momma."

Mom, I gave Sophia a little hug and I told her that I would be better soon."

This morning, she woke up claiming that she wasn't sick anymore and was ready to go to school.  Even though she didn't have a fever, she still didn't sound very good.  I just didn't want to risk sending my sick child to school and infecting the other students.  Besides, an extra day of rest would do her good.
She argued with me, begging to go to school.  In fact, I took a video of it knowing that one day she will actually be begging me to let her stay home from school.  She told me that she wanted to see her friend, Mallory, and didn't want to miss anything.  She was SO upset with me for not letting her go.

She seems to be doing a little better now, and I know that I made the right choice in keeping her home.  I promised her that she can go on Wednesday and that all of her friends will be so happy to see her ... 

Now, if I can just prevent Sophia from catching the same cold, I will be so lucky.  Otherwise, it is going to be a long week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...