Wednesday, November 21, 2012

November 19th

Nothing could have prepared me for the way that my life changed on that date ... four years ago.  At 3:05 in the morning, Samantha was placed in my arms -- bright-eyed and wide awake, ready to take on the world.  I knew that I was going to become a mom that day, but I never expected to feel such immediate, overwhelming love for someone that I had just met. 

Sure, I had nine months to bond with this little being, and of course, I did on some level.  But finding out that she was a girl (when both Steve and I thought that the baby was a boy) and then seeing the complete adoration in her eyes, well, I just knew then that this was what I was meant to do; I was meant to be a mom and to spend every day ... from that moment ... showing her just how much special she is and how much she means to us.

On November 19th this year, we started the day out with cinnamon rolls for breakfast, complete with a candle, just for her.  I guess that I believe that one cannot possiblly blow out too many candles (and make too many wishes) on one's birthday.  I actually lit the candle a total of three different times so that Samantha and Sophia could each blow 'til their hearts' delight.



After breakfast, I took a few pictures of the girls before it was time for me to load them in the car and take Samantha to school.  On some days, I can complete cooperation; on other days, it is a struggle.  On that day, there was SOME compliance.




Smiles!
The birthday girl:


After a quick "photo shoot," we dressed warmly and headed out to car so that I could have Samantha to school by 8:15 am.  In honor of the special day, I made chocolate-covered pretzel rods for Samantha to pass out to her friends at school.




After school, I fed the girls lunch -- Sam's choice: grilled cheese sandwiches.  We played for a bit and then the girls got ready for their naps.  They knew that after their rest that we were going to meet Steve at Old Chicago for dinner.  This was Samantha's choice for where she wanted to eat her birthday dinner.

After our pizza dinner, we came back home to surprise Sam with a few more gifts.  She didn't realize that we hadn't given her her birthday presents yet.  We had chosen to wait and do this on her actual birthday, rather than to give them to her at her party on Saturday.  She was so surprised!



Of course, Sophia had to partake, as well.  And Samantha was happy to oblige.  Sam really is a great big sister to Sophia; she's so patient with her.



Reading her card (upside down) from Momma and Daddy:



Sophia opened up Samantha's dinosaur puzzle for her -- it glows in the dark!



And probably one of the highlights of her birthday: Sophia's gift to Samantha was a pair of dress-up shoes and a Cinderella dress.  To say that Sam was in heaven would be an understatement!  She thanked her sister repeatedly.




She had to try it on IMMEDIATELY!



Daddy helped her, and she was ecstatic!



The complete outfit:


(You will notice the beautiful flower arrangement on the counter in the background.  Aunt Kathy had this arrangement delivered right after we got home from dinner.  The flowers are in an exquisite vase that it shaped like a cowgirl boot, complete with a spur!  It was a wonderful surprise for Samantha.).

Yet another hug for her sister for the great birthday gift:



Samantha is already talking about her 5th birthday party now and the theme that she wants!  I am sure that this is bound to change over the course of a year, but it makes me happy to see her so excited about her birthday.  That's exactly what I wanted from the second that she was born; I wanted her to know just how special her birthday is to us ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...