Monday, November 26, 2012

Sophia is 21 Months Old



Wow ... three more months and I will have a 2 year old again!  Sophia is SO full of personality, as denoted in the picture above.  This is her common pose for pictures these days; a big smile and squinted eyes.  I guess that I am happy that she actually wants to pose for pictures, though.  I have to be ... considering that I am constantly taking pictures of my growing girls.

Sophia's vocabulary is growing each and every day.  There is no word that she won't attempt, and she makes a very valiant effort to use words whenever she can in order to try and get her point across.  We are now at the point where she repeats a lot and she has been known to use the word "gosh" in the right context.  It could be worse ...

One of her very favorite phrases right now is, "me, me!"  In fact, she uses that phrase with such regularity, that Steve has taken to affectionately calling her that.  She wants to do everything BY HERSELF (eating, walking down stairs, carrying her blankets to the car) and makes it abundantly clear that she is independent and will do anything that she wants to do.  She also copies her big sister and I have had to remind Samantha that she needs to be aware of that  -- no teaching her bad habits.




We have been introducing potty-training for the last month or so.  By no means am I attempting to completely train her.  Rather, I have introduced the potty and whenever she wakes up dry (or it has been a long time since she has had a wet diaper), I strongly urge her to go.  She has successfully peed in the potty at least 15 times this month.  It helps that she has a singing potty, she receives a single M&M and her sister is one of the biggest cheerleaders that there is!  I suspect that she will train a little earlier than Sam, and when she is truly ready, I know exactly the method that I will use.  It is the same one that I used with Sam and she was trained in two days!

Sophia still sleeps well at night, sleeping from about 7:30 pm to about 7:30 am (or 8 am if I don't have to wake her up to go with me to take Samantha to school).  She is going through a small phase with her afternoon nap right now, often waking periodically and screaming for me.  I think that she is experiencing some bad dreams now and it usually just takes a little consoling from me and she will then rest a little longer.  I am hoping that this is just that -- a phase -- because Sam still takes a good afternoon nap and I would like to see Sophia continue in that same direction.

Sophia is so excited about Christmas.  She will finally "get it" this year ... the decorations, the presents, Santa ... and I am so thrilled to watch that excitement come to life.  She is already getting into the Christmas spirit with our musical snowmen!




We are working on the whole "pretty to look at, but not to touch" idea regarding the Christmas tree and the ornaments.  It has resulted in her spending quite a bit of time on the "time-out bench" over the last couple of days, but I suspect that she will learn within the next week that she is not allowed to touch anything.  Sam keeps a close eye on her and warns me if Sophia even thinks about touching one of ornaments or going behind the Christmas tree.

I've already started thinking about her two-year old birthday party.  I think that I have decided on a theme and am anxious to start pulling ideas together for it.  After the holidays, things will start to move quickly and I want to make sure that I have things organized!  There is just something so special about celebrating my girls' birthdays, and it gets me giddy just thinking about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...