Thursday, August 22, 2013

Jack's Baptism

On Saturday, August 17th, we baptized Jack at our Catholic church in town.  I probably could have chosen any date (on a Saturday or Sunday) to do this, but I chose the 17th because it has some significance -- August 17th was my grandpa's birthday and Jack turned exactly three months old that day.  I also wanted to celebrate the event on a Saturday so that we could have our families over to celebrate with us after the 5:00 pm Mass.

Before we headed to the church, we seized the moment to take a couple of family pictures.  This is our first picture as a family of five!



My little man and me:



********************

Jack started the ceremony resting quite comfortably.  (This was a bib that I just threw on him for the trip to the church because the excessive "drooling phase" is in full-effect.  I had every intention of taking it off before entering the church, as it is not the most appropriate for that setting, but couldn't bear to wake him up.  And so, the bib remained on until the start of Mass).


 
 
We asked my sister, Mignon, and my brother, Jacob, to be the godparents.  They were present with us up on the altar while Jack was baptized with holy water and anointed with oil.  Jack LOVED having the water poured over his head; I think that he thought that he was getting a bath, which he thoroughly loves anyway.
 

 
 
We all said a prayer over him while Father read a scripture reading.
 

 
 
I couldn't have been more pleased with how well-behaved the kids were during Mass.  Sophia did get a little antsy (she isn't used to sitting through Mass with me on Sundays like Samantha and Jack are accustomed to doing), but over all, they did a wonderful job.
 

 
 
As we were leaving the church, Papa (my dad) squatted down with the girls to admire the flowers.  I couldn't resist capturing that moment.
 



Sophia picked a flower and immediately put it to her nose to smell it.



And then Samantha followed suit ...



So precious.
 
 
Anyone that wasn't able to make it to the church, came over to our house afterwards to celebrate with us.  I had prepared tacos (beef and chicken) and had the meat going in crockpots.  The fixings were all done ahead of time so that I could just pull everything out of the fridge as soon as we got home (around 6:30 pm).  We had a starving bunch and everyone devoured the meal.  We then finished out the evening watching the Detroit Tigers win a very exciting game!  It was perfect ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...