Monday, August 26, 2013

Sophia is 2 1/2 Years Old

We don't usually celebrate "half birthdays" in our household.  However, I really believe that there is something special about turning 2 1/2 ...  Kids seem to finally understand the concept of birthdays at that age and with so many milestones happening (and their vocabulary growing so rapidly), well, I like to acknowledge the event.

Today, Sophia officially turned 2 1/2 years old.  We had talked about this for over a week; how she wasn't going to just be two anymore.  I think that the significance of it was further heightened by the fact that Samantha has been "4 1/2" for a while now.  That "half" tacked onto the end just makes all the difference. 

I asked Sophia what kind of cake she wanted and she told me "a pink one."  Completely compliant, last night I made her a pink strawberry cake and decorated it with pink and purple frosting.  As usual, I let the girls lick the frosting off the spatula when I was done, and I overheard Sophia telling Sam the following, "No, Sammy.  It MY birthday ..."  (Meaning that she wanted ALL of the frosting to herself!). 

As soon as Sophia came down the stairs this morning, she declared, "Happy birthday to me!"  Yes, little girl.  We do birthdays BIG in this house.

After repeatedly informing Sophia that we could not have her cake for breakfast, she settled into her spot at the counter for breakfast.  My momma heart exploded when I turned around and heard Samantha say, "Sophia, let me give you a birthday hug."  Sigh ...



I surprised the girls by telling them that we could go for a special birthday lunch after they got dressed.  They looked so adorable that I couldn't resist taking some pictures.



The birthday girl:



Posing with her cake before we left:



Yes, this is how the cake looked BEFORE I left Sophia unattended with it.  I came back in the room a few minutes after taking this picture only to discover that a certain 2 1/2 year old that sampled some of the frosting off the top!

The girls chose to go to Culvers for lunch,.  They love their grilled cheese sandwiches (and even better, they get ice cream with their kids' meals). 

Posing outside Culvers:



After Culvers, we went across the street to the pet store.  The girls enjoy doing that every chance that they get and it is free entertainment!



The rat was so fascinating to Sophia:



Ah, the kitties.  Those are their absolute favorite animals at the store.



Luckily, they never ask me if they can take any of them home!



There are so many aquariums of fish, but the girls are always drawn to the one FILLED to the max with goldfish.



After the pet store, we surprised Aunt Minnie by going to the school where she teaches.  I knew that she was over there setting up her classroom and was pretty sure that she wouldn't mind some company.

The girls helped with the decorating:


We then headed back home for some much-needed naps, with the promise that we could have cake after dinner.  The girls ate such a great dinner, that I brought the cake out and we celebrated immediately afterwards (before I even did the dishes).  Sadly, Daddy couldn't be with us tonight, but we made the best of it!


(You will notice that the frosting has been smudged due to the aforementioned sampling, and that we actually used 2.5 candles)!


Preparing to blow out her candles while we sang "happy birthday" to her:



Samantha asked if she could help blow out the candles and Sophia replied with, "Oh, yes!"



I had an unused card left-over in my card box that was for a 2 year old and I altered it so that it read for a "2 1/2 year old."  You can't tell from the picture, but it turned out pretty cute.  Sophia was so excited that it was a Hello Kitty card!




Finally, we ended our memorable day with each girl opening a gift from me.  I couldn't very likely just get a present for Sophia (while not getting something for Samantha), so I gave each girl a special book -- Sophia's was the Little People Zoo book with flaps inside that she enjoys opening and closing, and Samantha received a story pack of five books about Splat the Cat (one of her favorite series).



Happy "half" birthday, Sophia Marie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...