Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Chore Chart

Lately, Samantha has been asking to help with various chores around the house.  I have taken advantage of that and assigned her several tasks that she can help with whenever she asks.  But, what she really wanted was a list -- something that she could see visually and then check the items off as they were completed.  A chore chart.

One night last week, as we were tucking her in bed, she begged again for us to make a list while she was sleeping.  As soon as Steve and I arrived downstairs, we began talking about some tasks that we could give her.  Steve suggested printing out an Excel gridline chart, but I wanted something a little fancier (of course). 

The next morning, the kids and I headed to the craft store and ideas floated around in my head.  I wanted something cute, something magnetic and something that was interchangeable (as the tasks changed).  I also wanted to make one for Sophia.

I found some cheap, unpainted pine wood frames and let the girls choose their own colors for the spray paint.  Samantha chose a teal color, and Sophia chose pink.  I found some random decorations, all on clearance, and knew that we could use them to decorate the frames.  I located some magnetic backing that I would use as the main chart and some small magnets.  Some buttons (also on clearance) would be used to spruce up the magnets.

The girls were SO excited.  I put Jack down for his morning nap as soon as we got back home and then the girls and I got to work.

Waiting for the teal spray paint to dry:



How did I know that this little girl would choose pink??!!



My glue gun is probably one of my most used possessions.  That thing sure gets a work-out in my household!  I use it for everything ...

Sorting her magnets so that I can glue the buttons on top:



We chose some really cute chevron buttons, some flowers and some strawberries (whatever was on clearance and would be sturdy enough for gluing. 



The bowl full of completed magnets:



Decorating their frames.  They worked together as a team to help decorate each one.


 
While they were napping that afternoon, I put together the actual chore chart portion of the project.  I used a white marker to separate the days of the week and the chores.  I used my handy labeler to label magnets with the chores and put them into place.  Due to space constraints, I opted to have room for 7 chores, but I can change them out as time goes on.  Some of the chores are daily activities (making their beds) and others are only meant to be done a couple of times a week.   
 
At the end of the week, we count up the magnets that each girl has on their chart and they are rewarded 10 cents per magnet for their piggy banks.  Maybe that seems too low, but the girls are happy with that value.  As time goes on, and the chores become more time-consuming, the value may go up.  For now though, we are focusing on rewarding them for their work.
 
A funny quote from Sam: "Momma, I would like to have 10 pennies instead of 1 dime for each of my chores."  She knows the value of a dime, but 10 pennies still seems like more money to her.  Ha!
 

On the wall in their bedroom:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mid-Month Randoms: Focus on Sophia and James

I went through my camera roll and decided to do a "Mid-Month Randoms" post with some of the pictures that were on the reel, and th...