Monday, August 10, 2015

Monster Cookies

Steve has been traveling a lot the last couple of weeks and it seems to have been harder than ever on the kids.  I suspect that it may have something to do with the fact that it is still summer (no school, no dance, etc.) and being home with me exclusively can be ... well, boring, sometimes.  I have tried to fill the days with play-dates, shopping trips, beach days, picnics, craft projects ... and everything else in between, but when you're under the age of 7, you have a lot of energy to expend.

Typically, Steve leaves for trips early in the morning (before the kids are even awake) and then to them, it mimics a typical workday for them.  However, on one of his recent travel trips, Steve had to leave a little later than normal -- mid-morning -- and this was difficult on everyone.  The kids all cried when he had to leave.  But, Samantha cried the hardest, which is not like her at all. 

I knew that I needed to try to distract her in order to overcome her sadness, which was then being projected onto the two younger kids.  I had planned to make Monster Cookies later that day, so I asked her to grab a pen and paper so that I could dictate the recipe to her.  I didn't bother to spell any of the words; rather, I let her sound them out on her own.  Some of them were correct, others were not.  But I didn't care.  And, this little distraction technique served yet another purpose: Samantha received her first lesson in fractions.



After naps (and after the stick of butter was softened), we set to work mixing all of the ingredients.  I purposely made Samantha use a 1/4 cup measuring cup for all of the increments ... teaching that two of them makes a 1/2 and so on ...



Jack and Sophia alternated adding in all of the ingredients.



And, like with every recipe, there *might* have been some sampling of ingredients (like, ahem, the M&Ms!).

Stirring in all of the ingredients:



The final products, cooling and waiting until after dinner to be consumed:



Sadly, it seems that only one of my three children liked the cookies.  Yes, Samantha gave her cookie to Jack after dinner that night and then Sophia followed suit.  Obviously, Jack didn't complain one bit!  (Sam was not a fan of the peanut butter -- is she even my child??? -- and Sophia did not care for the oatmeal).  Oh well.  I enjoyed them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...