Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Growing Up ...

I sat down to feed James the other day and I started thinking about how fast my "little ones" are growing up, right before my eyes.  Each year, they get so excited to turn another year older -- oh, how they talk about their birthday for months before it actually arrives.  And me?  Sometimes I can't help wishing that time would stand still for a little while.  Just long enough to truly celebrate a milestone before another one happens.

Samantha

I attended Samantha's Parent-Teacher Conference a couple of weeks ago and she is absolutely thriving in school.  In fact, I was even bold enough to ask her teacher if she was being challenged enough.  She flies through her homework with little to no help from me and is at the top of her class in all of her school subjects.  She is averaging 14.7 / 15 on her weekly spelling tests, she has a 95% in reading and reading comprehension, and a 94% in math.  Yup, there is no doubt in my mind now that we made the right decision last year in starting her in 1st grade a little earlier than most.  Sure, she will graduate from high school at the age of 17, but I can't imagine now having held her back in her education.  She would have only become bored.

Putting together a series of dinosaurs from a book that Papa bought for her:



Sophia

Sophia learned to ride without training wheels last month!  It took her almost no time at all, as Steve simply removed them and encouraged her to ride down the hill in the back yard.  After a couple of trips down the hill, she had it mastered.  It makes sense now that I think about it ... that is, you learn to balance really quickly when you are going down a hill.  More so than when you are trying to balance on a level plane, like a driveway.  Within a day, this girl was riding like a champ and we often have to ask her to slow down when we go for a walk because we can't keep up with her.




Also, she has begun reading!  She knows all of her letter sounds and is using phonics to put them together to read short stories.  She is going to be more than ready for kindergarten in the Fall!


Jack

Jack has been potty-trained during the day (and even during afternoon naps) for months now.  We were still struggling with nighttime wetting though, so we continued to have him wear a bedtime diaper each night.  Sometimes he would wake up dry and other times, he would be wet.  There was no consistency.  But, I didn't push it.  I knew that boys just developed differently than girls (my girls trained at night at the same time as they were daytime-trained).

After a complete week of waking up dry each morning, I suggested that he pack away his nighttime diapers for Baby James.  Oh, how excited he was!

Stuffing them in a bag:



Handing one to Baby James (ha ha ha!!!):



All ready to be put away in the closet!



Since then, we did have a week of regression.  I'm not sure what caused it, but we seem to be back on track again.  I am so proud of him (and he is even more proud of himself!).


James

I seem to say it over and over again: James is such a good baby.  He smiles all the time, he rarely seems to cry (only when his basic needs are not met) and simply goes with the flow as the baby of a family that is forever 'on the go' these days. 

We seem to be on a decent schedule now for nighttime and this makes for a better, more well-rested momma.  I have moved him out of our room now and he is consistently sleeping from about 9 pm to 3 am (sometimes even longer), awake for a diaper change and feeding, and often goes back to sleep until 6-7 am ... just in time to get ready to take the girls to school.



Yes, I am certainly proud of each of my children and their individual personalities and accomplishments.  I make it habit to tell them that too.  And often. 

Momma is so proud of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...