Monday, April 18, 2016

Mommy's New Kitchen Helper

For quite some time, Sophia has been (and still is, to some extent) my little kitchen helper.  She is the first one to volunteer the second that she sees me move my mixer into place on the kitchen counter.  She is the first one offering to help with decorations for each and every party that I host.  She is truly my little "Martha Stewart," and I love that about her. 

In fact, I knew that that would be one of the things that I would miss once she started school.  My little kitchen sidekick would not be as readily available anymore.

So, you can imagine my happiness when Jack stepped up to the plate and began offering to help me in the mornings.  He's more "rough and tough" -- everything that encompasses BOY -- but he has a soft spot for helping his momma.  And, if I'm being honest, I'm sure that it has a little something to do with the excitement over yet another machine to use ... my stand mixer. 

So, on Friday morning, while the girls were at school, Jack set to work helping me make some banana muffins.

I gave him many tasks, but his favorite job was peeling the overly-ripe bananas and watching the mixer mash them up in the batter.



And when the batter was mixed, he graciously insisted on stirring it a little himself.  That boy has an arm of steel.  No job is too taxing for him.



Making sure that it was just right.



I just love this little one-on-one time with him.  And I know that he craves it too. 

With the summer season right around the corner, I won't have quite as much time to devote to each of the kids, individually.  So, I am constantly trying to make the most of these days right now by splitting my time.  Sometimes I will only take one (or two) of the kids with me on an errand.  Other times, I will work on a project that only involves the girls.  Or maybe the boys and I will be the only ones to go on a walk.  It takes a little planning on my part (with a great deal of help from Steve), but I can honestly say that it's working.  I never want the kids to look back on their childhood and feel as though I didn't have enough time for them because I was always busy with a baby.  I will always make time for them ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...