Monday, February 6, 2017

James' First Birthday

We celebrated James' first birthday on his actual birthday (February 4th) surrounded by family and friends at our house in the traditional way -- lots of decorations, food, presents and followed it all up with cake and ice cream. 




I chose a fox theme for the party; I'm not really sure why.  But I'm so glad that I did because it really turned out cute.  I had the girls help me with some of the decorations -- most everything was handmade, and I can honestly say that I have perfected my drawings of foxes now (if that ever comes in handy one day!).

The fox balloon was a big hit, but one that I may have to reconsider for any future parties.  While the balloon itself was not expensive, it turns out that it cost quite a bit of money to put helium in it at the store.  In fact, the helium cost more than the deflated balloon did.




Just look at those blue eyes.  It seems that those are the first thing that EVERYONE comments on when they see him.



The fox cake that I decorated the night before and put on a Fall plate that I had tucked away in a cupboard.  Such a perfect opportunity to use it.



Flowers are a great way to add a 'pop of color' to any decorating.  I added a bow to the vase and a few other simple decorations (and some candy!):
 

The handmade banner that the girls helped me with -- the letters were drawn and cut by hand, as were the matching foxes to balance it all out.  That banner now hangs in Jimmy's room.




Another table using flowers from the same bouquet:



We served pulled pork, coleslaw, a baked potato bar and salad and the crowd seemed happy with all of it.

A duplicate of the tissue fox that the girls had helped me last summer for Aunt Minnie's classroom.  We had most of the supplies left over from that project and set to work one afternoon to make a twin.  It turned out just as cute as the first one.



Painted and embellished.  Simple enough.



My boy and me -- no longer a baby anymore.



Opening presents with Momma (with help from his siblings, of course):



The smash cake!  This little man wasn't quite sure what to think of it, but with a little encouragement from the audience, he eventually dug right in. 



Happy 1st birthday, Jimmy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...