Saturday, November 3, 2018

Halloween 2018

Halloween was a FULL day for us, as it always seems to be.  Fortunately, Steve traditionally takes the day off work and this allows us to "tag-team" and visit as many classroom Halloween parties as we can, including costume parades. 

We began the morning with Jack's costume parade through the middle school (both levels) and Jimmy was the cutest lion ever, bringing up the rear.  So many of the girls cheered his name because they know him from the countless hours that he spends up at the dance studio.  He was loving every single minute of it.  Then, we ended up back in Jack's classroom where we kind of sat back and watched the party.  I had made rice krispie treats and witch hat cookies and those went over very well with the kids.



Afterwards, Steve, Jimmy and myself headed home for about an hour and a half to prepare for the festivities later on at our house and the parties at the elementary school.  I left early (while Steve finished up with Jimmy's lunch) and went to Sophia's classroom where I was in charge of one of the crafts.  We made the most beautiful (and relatively easy!) stain-glassed spider web that the kids could hang in their windows at home.  I had practiced the craft the weekend before with Sophia, Sam and one of Sam's friends.  We worked out any "kinks" and it turned out great!




Once her party was over, it was time for the girls to get into their costumes for the outside parade.  I made a few trips backs and forth to the girls' rooms (and Steve was there with Jimmy too) and in no time, they were ready to go.

We watched the parade outside and spent a great deal of time commenting on how nice the weather was.  It was a bit windy, but SO much nicer than past years.  In fact, I was leery when we woke up to rain that morning, but the skies cleared up -- and I almost wished that I had my sunglasses with me.

After the parade, Steve gathered up 3/4 of the kids and took them home.  I stayed at the school for Sam's party where I was in charge of the game and the "icky" food item.  I opted to go with "Pin the Eyeball on the Zombie" which the kids all loved.  (In fact, when we got ready to leave, people were posing with the poster outside for pictures!  Ha!).



The "icky" food item that I made for her party was a BRAIN CAKE.  It turned out freakishly good and it took a little bit of convincing to get the kids to actually try it!  But once they realized that it was completely edible, there was hardly any left on the plate at the end of the party. 


After Sam's party, we packed up and headed home.  Jimmy was napping and the other two kids were spending some time with Steve and Grandpa.  Spaghetti sauce was simmering on the stove (I had made meatballs on the weekend in preparation) and the salad was already prepped.  I had also made homemade applesauce (a favorite among the kids) and there were lots of desserts to enjoy.

By 6 pm, the kids were dressed with their Halloween bags in hand, ready to go trick-or-treating.  We loaded up in the golf cart and zipped around the neighborhood until just after 7 pm.  Most of the kids were chilled by then and had PLENTY of candy!  Back at home, they sorted and compiled (Momma ended up with most of the peanut M&Ms and Reeses!) and were clean in their beds by 8 pm. 



Later when I checked on them, every one of the kids was sound asleep by 8:30 pm.  Definitely a Halloween to remember ...!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...