Thursday, December 22, 2022

Christmas Cookies - 2022

The very next morning after the kids' last day of school before Winter Break, I made sure to have all of our supplies together to make our annual Christmas cookies.  This is one of my favorite things to do with the kids and we tend to split it up over two days -- one where we roll, cut out and bake the cookies and the next day is reserved for decorating. 

The secret to all of this is that I set everything up ahead of time to keep things organized:


And then, they get right to work:



There is only one rolling pin but they always manage to share.


Sophia has mastered the art of cutting out as many shapes as she can out of her dough:


Sam's designs tend to become more complicated each year and I love seeing what she comes up with; here, she was cutting out antlers to turn an upside down Christmas stocking into a reindeer.



Design artist at work:



I LOVE that the boys still enjoy this tradition:



I skipped the gingerbread cookies this year so we made sure to make a few out of sugar cookie dough.




Last one left at the table!



********************

The next day, I rolled out a disposable tablecloth (critical for easy cleanup!), made the kids each a cup of hot chocolate and let them decorate all of the cooled cookies from the day before.



Jimmy's technique was already MUCH more advanced than last year:



Side note on the tablecloth: I bought a huge roll of this red & white striped plastic tablecloth for Sam's 10th birthday (a circus theme) FOUR years ago.  I went to roll it out for decorating cookies and had just enough to cover the table.  It has been used for so many events over the last four years!



More concentration:



Sam also turned a star-shaped cookie into Santa Claus!



I am pretty sure that every single one of Jack's decorated cookies had sprinkles on it.



Sophia loves this tradition just as much as I do.  Her smile says it all.



Cookies and cocoa -- a perfect combination.



This boy loves the tradition too.



The finished products, with several left "plain" for those that do not enjoy the frosting:


********************

No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Reindeer Food for Christmas Eve

If I were to make a list of holiday traditions, putting together bags of reindeer food would certainly make the list.   A few things about t...